Portugal’s Pursuit of Bournemouth’s Eli Junior Kroupi Revealed

Portugal head coach Roberto Martinez has revealed that the national team made an approach for Bournemouth’s Eli Junior Kroupi. This approach was made with a view to Kroupi potentially switching his international allegiance ahead of the 2026 World Cup.

Martinez Confirms Contact with Kroupi’s Camp

Martinez confirmed that his staff actively reached out to the player’s camp earlier this year. He stated that before the March training camp, there was contact with Kroupi. Martinez said it is important to follow players who can represent the Portugal national team and those who want to represent them.

Asked directly about the attempt to recruit the highly rated forward, Martinez said: “Yes, there was interest, we stayed ahead of the news… Junior wanted to play for France and we respected it, it is a case that we left closed.”

Kroupi’s personal desire proved decisive in shutting the door on a switch to Portugal.

Kroupi’s Eligibility and France Preference

Kroupi was eligible for Ivory Coast through his father, and Portugal via his mother and grandmother. The 19-year-old forward has heavily represented France at youth levels. He has scored 15 goals across various age groups for France, making Les Bleus the clear frontrunners for his senior international commitment.

Bournemouth’s Stance on Kroupi’s Future

Bournemouth have benefited from Kroupi’s development since his permanent €15 million (£13m/$17m) transfer. Kroupi has registered 12 goals in 31 Premier League appearances this season. He has also scored two goals in domestic cup competitions.

The club are aware of his rising stock. Sporting director Tiago Pinto recently declared they would not sell him for €100m (£87m/$116m). His performances have caught the eye of top European suitors, cementing his status as one of the most exciting young talents in world football today.

Portugal’s World Cup Preparations Continue

With Kroupi now out of reach, Martinez and his squad will focus on their World Cup preparations. Following two home friendlies against Chile and Nigeria, the team will travel to their training base in Palm Beach. They are scheduled to open their tournament campaign against DR Congo on June 17.

More Sports News

Exit mobile version