Jai Arrow Forced to Retire Following Motor Neurone Disease Diagnosis

Jai Arrow has been forced to retire from the NRL after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND). The South Sydney and NSW backrower had not played this year. The 30-year-old confirmed the news on Wednesday, following months of testing.

Arrow’s Statement and Medical Advice

Arrow said that he had received a diagnosis relating to a nerve and neurological condition. He added that further tests, specialist reviews and medical processes are still ongoing, and his doctors are continuing to assess his condition. He stated that his symptoms have affected different parts of his everyday life over recent months.

Arrow also confirmed that he is not currently medically cleared to train or play at the required level. He said he would be stepping away from those duties while he focuses fully on his health, treatment, and rehabilitation. Around 2,750 people are living with MND in Australia.

MND describes a group of diseases that impact nerve cells which carry messages from the brain to muscles through the spinal cord. It is life threatening and there is currently no cure, though the speed it affects each person is different.

Tributes from Bennett and the Rabbitohs

Souths coach Wayne Bennett described Arrow as “an honest, genuine, hard-working young man” who always puts his family and team before himself. Bennett coached Arrow at the Rabbitohs and at the Broncos, where he made his NRL debut almost a decade ago. He said this is a difficult time for Jai and his family.

Bennett added that he wants to pay tribute to Arrow for everything he has given his teammates, his coaches and his communities in Brisbane, the Gold Coast, the people of Queensland, and here in south Sydney. He also paid tribute to him for the family man he has become. Bennett said he is a special guy and we’re all very lucky to have him at our club and in our lives.

Arrow played 178 NRL games following his debut in 2016. He was awarded the George Piggins medal last year for the Rabbitohs’ best player, alongside other accolades for clubperson of the year and his contribution to the community. Rabbitohs chief executive Blake Solly said Arrow will always be part of the club.

Solly stated that unfortunately, we won’t see Jai on the field of play in the NRL again due to this diagnosis. He added that handling this situation is much more important than football for Jai and his family. Solly said we all know how difficult the past few months have been for Jai, but we also know that he will fight this illness with the same bravery, passion and character that was the hallmark of his playing career.

Arrow had not played in the NRL in 2026 after an issue in pre-season that was described as a shoulder injury.

More Sports News

Exit mobile version