Chicago Cubs Recall Top Prospect Ramírez; Shaw to IL

The Chicago Cubs have made a roster move, recalling infield prospect Pedro Ramírez from Triple-A Iowa. This corresponds with placing infielder Matt Shaw on the 10-day injured list due to back tightness.

Shaw’s Back Issues Lead to IL Stint

Matt Shaw’s back issue surfaced earlier in the week, according to manager Craig Counsell. The issue fluctuated over the past few days, leading to the Cubs’ decision to place him on the injured list. Counsell stated that they needed to “get out of that phase of testing it and give him some time.”

Ramírez Gets His Major League Chance

The move opens the door for Pedro Ramírez to experience the Major Leagues. Ramírez is the Cubs’ No. 2 prospect and MLB Pipeline’s No. 85 overall prospect. The 22-year-old switch-hitter earned the promotion after a strong start at Iowa, slashing .312/.395/.547 with nine home runs through 43 games. Ramírez has shown elite contact skills paired with newfound power this season.

Ramírez’s Role and Versatility

Counsell cautioned that Ramírez is not expected to immediately step into an everyday role. However, he emphasised the value of exposing the young infielder to the Major League environment. Counsell said that it’s good for Ramírez to get exposure to the Major Leagues, the group, and the schedule. This would help him if a situation arises where there is a lot of playing time.

Counsell added that Ramírez could still see occasional starts while serving as a versatile bench option. Ramírez’s versatility likely played a role in the decision, as he has experience throughout the infield. He also recently began seeing time in left field at Iowa. He was a Minor League Gold Glove winner at third base last season.

Cubs’ Offensive Struggles

The Cubs have struggled offensively, entering Friday on a five-game losing streak after being swept by the Brewers earlier this week. Counsell pushed back on the idea that the club needs to dramatically change its offensive approach. “The hitter’s supposed to try to get a pitch he can hit,” Counsell said. “He’s supposed to try to hit it hard, and then he loses some control over what happens.”

Counsell noted the Cubs’ hard-hit rates with runners in scoring position have remained strong despite inconsistent results. He pointed to strikeouts in key moments as a bigger issue, saying, “When you do have runners on base, you can’t give up an at-bat right now.”

The Cubs made the roster move ahead of Friday’s series opener against the Astros.

More Sports News

Exit mobile version