Thomas Tuchel has some big calls to make before his World Cup squad announcement. He has already started contacting the England hopefuls who have not made the cut.
Tuchel’s squad will be made public on Friday. For the fortunate 26, opportunity beckons – England head to this tournament as one of the fancied few to lift the trophy in New Jersey on 19 July.
But for those the England head coach rings with bad news, there will only be a summer with thoughts of what might have been.
Defensive Dilemmas: Injuries and Fitness Concerns
Some of Tuchel’s biggest dilemmas have been in defence, where there have been injury and fitness issues.
Centre-back John Stones, in normal circumstances, would have been one of the first names on the England manager’s list.
When he accepted the job, Tuchel identified captain Harry Kane, Declan Rice and Stones as the key members of his leadership group.
The German, during the opening months of his reign, would stay in regular contact with the trio via text message – assuring them of how important they were to his plans.
A fully fit Stones is a nailed-on starter for England this summer. But the 31-year-old has made just four Premier League starts this season.
Central defenders Marc Guehi and Ezri Konsa look certain to make the plane to North America, while Harry Maguire’s international recall in March will increase the Manchester United man’s hopes of a place.
Beyond that; Jarell Quansah’s versatility could count in his favour, while Trevoh Chalobah and Fikayo Tomori were both included in the squad for March’s friendlies against Uruguay and Japan – but face an uphill struggle to make the final 26.
Levi Colwill, who has only recently returned from a long-term cruciate knee ligament injury, was included in Tuchel’s extended 55-man party for the tournament but is unlikely to make the full squad.
The Right-Back Conundrum: Alexander-Arnold’s Chances
At right-back, all eyes – as ever – will be on whether Trent Alexander-Arnold makes the cut. On the face of it, the Real Madrid man should fear the worst.
He wasn’t included in the squad for March’s internationals despite Tuchel selecting more than 30 players in total.
Last year, Tuchel said Quansah – a central defender – was ahead of him in the pecking order, so it doesn’t necessarily look good.
That said, Tuchel has issues at right-back. Reece James, who is expected to start the tournament as first choice in the position, has endured an injury disrupted campaign.
Tino Livramento would also usually be selected. But the Newcastle full-back hasn’t played since mid-April because of a thigh injury.
The doubt over Livramento’s fitness, coupled with the expected exclusion of Arsenal’s Ben White – who is reco