Joshua vs Fury: UK Stadium a Frontrunner to Host Mega-Fight

A UK stadium is the “frontrunner” to stage the Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury mega-fight, says promoter Eddie Hearn.

British rivals Fury and Joshua have signed a deal to box this year, as the former world champions look to settle a rivalry that dates back decades.

While it is clear that their long-awaited clash would fill any stadium in Britain, the location of the fight is not yet decided and the contest could be held overseas.

Hearn Comments on Potential Locations

Hearn told Sky Sports: “I think it [the UK] is probably the frontrunner but again at the end of the day both fighters are receiving a huge, huge amount of money and [Saudi financier] Turki Alalshikh is paying the bill.”

“He’s got to look at where that fight’s going to make sense. I think him as a fight fan would like the fight to take place in the UK but I wouldn’t rule out America, I wouldn’t rule out Saudi.”

Hearn added: “We’ll be in the discussion but at the end of the day, it is what it is.”

Wembley would be a fitting venue for the fight, the Principality Stadium in Cardiff has a retractable roof and the Tottenham Hotspur stadium has held big fights previously in November and December.

November Date Proposed

“November is the date for Fury against AJ,” Hearn noted.

Hearn stated: “[Turki Alalshikh’s team] are putting a few thoughts in our minds about a potential venue and it is up to them. They’re paying the bill.”

“I’m sure they’d love the fight to take place in the UK. Obviously it is in November, it does limit you slightly but wherever that fight lands we’ll be ready.”

Warm-Up Bouts Scheduled

Joshua has a warm-up bout in Riyadh against Kristian Prenga on July 25 and Hearn also expects Fury to take a tune up fight at the start of August.

“Everybody just presumes AJ will walk through Prenga but he’s a decent fighter. He’s not an elite world class guy but he’s got 20 knockouts in 21 wins and he’s looking at it thinking: ‘Blimey, I chin Anthony Joshua, I’ve cracked it.’ So you’ve got to be switched on for it,” Hearn said.

“It’s two nail-biters back to back because you’ve got July 25 and then [potentially] August 1 but we’re just focused on Prenga and doing the job,” he added. “Then everyone will be ready.”

More Sports News

Exit mobile version